To become an Active Member, you must meet the following requirements: ARTICLE 11 SECTION 2.
1. Chiefs of police, Commissioners of Police, or Superintendents of Police, when recommended by an active member of the association: and
2. Assistant and/or Deputy Chiefs of Police, Assistant and/or Deputy Commissioners of Police, Assistant and/or Deputy Superintendents of Police, Chiefs of Inspectors, Chiefs of Detectives, Assistant and/or Deputy Chief Inspectors, Inspectors, Deputy Inspector, Captain and those of other ranks of Lieutenant or above who are designated as assistant or Deputy to the Chief, Commissioner, or Superintendent of police or who are designated as a bureau or Division head when recommended by their Chief of Police, Commissioner of Police or Superintendent of Police, provided he is an active member of the association.
3. Sergeants, Lieutenants or above who are designated as commanding officers of a police department when recommended by an active member of this association.
4. The Chief of Police, Superintendent or Commanding Officer of a Railroad Police Department, charged with the responsibility of investigating violations of law and the arrest of violators of law, within New York State, when recommended by an active member of the association.
5. An agent-in-charge of a Federal Law Enforcement Agency, charged with the responsibility of investigating violations of law and the arrest of violators of the law, assigned to an office in New York State, when recommended by an active member of the association.
B. Such Active Membership shall continue so long as such public officials shall receive salaries from the public funds or be employed by police departments authorized by law to be maintained. In the event an Active Member becomes unable to continue to meet the qualifications for Active Membership, he shall be transferred to that class of membership for which he qualifies. Any questions concerning appropriate classification of membership shall be referred to and be determined by the Board of Governors.
C. A further qualification for Active Membership shall be that the applicant is salaried and engaged on a fulltime basis in law enforcement and such applicant shall be a resident of New York State and/or have his office therein. An Active Member who is removed from New York State may elect to become an Associate Member.
D. Applicants for Active Membership shall require recommendations to the Association, in writing, by a majority of the Membership Committee, as provided by the By-Laws and duly elected by the membership.
E. Active Membership from a single municipality shall be limited, at all times, to five (5) per cent of the total Active Membership of the Association.
F. Active Membership holding an elective office and becoming a Retired Active Member during his tenure shall remain in his elected position until the next Conference following his change status to: "Retired Active."