Certified Best Practices In Sex Offender Management
The New York State Association of Chiefs of Police Certified Best Practices Program was developed to recognize those law enforcement agencies that employ competent, comprehensive, and proactive practices relating to sex offender management. Agencies are eligible for recognition when they demonstrate a commitment to:
- Ensuring compliance by sex offenders with existing laws governing their registration, reporting, and other responsibilities;
- Providing community notification to vulnerable entities within their communities.
The recognition program includes an objective assessment of an agency’s practices and policies concerning sex offender management. Those meeting the standards adopted by the New York State Association of Chiefs of Police will be recognized with a Best Practices Certification, attesting to that agency’s programmatic and operational efforts to help ensure community safety through a systematic sex offender management program.
The New York State Association of Chiefs of Police, in an effort to assist agencies with managing sex offender populations:
- will promote those practices which have been proven to be most effective;
- encourage monitoring, enforcement, and compliance by agencies which have not previously had a strategy or plan in sex offender management;
- promote the development and exchange of suggestions, tools and resources for improved compliance and enforcement.
Agencies receiving a “Best Practices Certification” will be recognized by the New York State Association of Chiefs of Police through a news media release, a posting on the Association’s website on a dedicated page listing all those agencies so certified, and by the issuance of an identifiable and unique symbol or certificate attesting to the certification. For more information or an application form, click here to download the file.
Adobe Reader Required
Canandaigua Police Department
Colonie Police Department
Rockville Centre Police Department
Watertown Police Department